It has been years since I’ve sat down and destroyed the Horde in Warcraft III. That will all change now that Blizzard is updating some of it’s classic games. On March, 15th 2015 Warcraft III received it’s first patch since 2011.
The patch is mostly upgrading the game to play on newer operating systems. These fixes include:
- Fixed a crash cause by Chain Lighting
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- New Mac Installer for Mac 10.10 and 10.11
Some of the know issues include:
- Changes to gama settings will not take effect in window mode
- Mac build does not support the editor
- Cyrillic characters
- Windows 8.1 and 10 saved games are still stored in a location that requires running as system admin
- Some graphical issues with the cinematics are still occurring
- Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported
This is just the start of support from Blizzard for the classic games. Diablo 2 received a patch last week. I feel like it’s safe to say that Starcraft should be the next game that receives the same love.